Wordful Wednesday: Our Big Ole Day of Thanks

It’s a week later and I’m still feeling the love and exhaustion of the glorious Thanksgiving we had. Our maybe it’s the virus that Monk and I both acquired during the festivities that have me whipped. Either way…it was a day to remember.

For the first time EVER I hosted the Thanksgiving dinner at our house. That’s right. My big ole pregnant ass cleaned the house, decorated, cooked, baked and roasted a 16 lb. turkey.

Whuck?! Am I crazy?! Nope. Just a sucker for having my whole family together.

You see traditionally we alternate between my family and Michael’s family every year. This year was my family’s turn but unfortunately my grandparents weren’t feeling up to hosting and my Mom’s house doesn’t lend itself to big gatherings. So I talked it over with the Mr. and we decided to have Thanksgiving dinner at our place. Just a small get-together of 12 of us. You know, no big deal.

And just in case you think I still need my head examined my biggest reason for knowing I could handle it? I had more than a little bit of help from my awesome sister Tracey. She helped my pick out the linens and decorations, plan the menu, prepare all the dishes, clean my house and make sure everyone ate and drank their fill. Yep, she is amazing.

So what did we eat? Here’s the menu:

Bacon & Blue Cheese Dip, Cheese & Crackers, Chips & Dip (appetizers)

Lemon-Herb-Butter Rubbed Turkey & Gravy

Grandma Rose’s Stuffing

Sweet Potato Souffle

Mashed Potatoes

Green Bean Casserole

Gingered Cranberry Sauce

Cranberry-Orange Relish

Macaroni & Cheese (MIL)

Sweet & Sour Meatballs (MIL)

Fresh Rolls (From bakery not from scratch)

Pumpkin Pie (My Mom)

Triple Berry Pie

Dream Cookie Bars (MIL)

Yep, other than a few dishes that the Grandma’s brought with them my sister and I made the whole damn feast. And it was actually pretty damn fun.

She came up the day before and after making a game plan for the evening and holiday morning we took Monk to see The Muppets. And it was fabulous. Monk sat through the whole thing with a huge bucket of popcorn between her legs, laughing and saying ‘It’s a movie!’ and ‘Muppets Mommy’. Te Te loved taking her niece to the movies. Hopefully it can be our new tradition, a Thanksgiving family movie.

After the movie Daddy took Monk over to Jiddo & Teta’s house for dinner. Leaving Tre and I several hours of free time to get things checked off our list. We got to work making a pie, making room in the coat closet, moving furniture, setting up the bar, making flower arrangements and making other side dishes.

By the time those two made it home we were just about done with our work for the evening and settled in to watch a big of Downton Abbey Season 2. (disclaimer: I know this doesn’t come out until January here but it’s already aired in England and it’s readily available online. And I just couldn’t wait. It’s Downton Abbey!!)

The next morning we got up at the crack of dawn and got the turkey out of the fridge. Fortunately we happened to have the Today Show on in the background because when we pulled the turkey out it was still a bit frozen inside. Today Show to the rescue!! Sarah Moulton told us to throw it in cold water for half an hour. We did, and well, crisis averted.

I need to preface all of this by saying neither my sister or I have ever made a turkey. Sure we’ve helped pop it in the oven or baste it when asked. But for real, we’ve never dealt with a big old naked raw bird. And I have to say that I am no longer a turkey virgin. I had my buttered hand all up in that thing!

Though I’m sure this picture says it all let’s just say I was more than a little grossed out by this process.

But in the end I got over it and we had a really buttery lemony delicious smelling birdie to pop in the oven. Then we got on to the real star of the show. One-Bowl Spinach Quick Quiche. The best easiest breakfast ever. It makes the morning better. And it was so damn satisfying.

Then we got down to getting dressed and setting up and dressing all the tables. Before I even had a chance to get dressed or put on some makeup my sister and brother in law were there. Shortly followed by everyone else. My mom helped my sister get the tablecloth on and the tables started. Then I put my brother and sister to work making napkin rings.

The tables and decorations turned out so cute. And while everyone ate appetizers and tried not to run over each other in the kitchen, it was finally time to sit down and eat our yummy feast.

Michael’s sister Jilnar and brother Andre on Cheese & Cracker Duty

Look at that Birdie!! Mmmmmmmm…delicious!

The Turkey table set up in front of the fireplace. Wish you could see the pretty napkin rings my bro and sis made. The ‘Give Thanks’ banner was stolen from Leslie via Pinterest. Thanks for the great idea Leslie!!

The Bar. Hot Mulled Cider and all kinds of other fun ‘adult’ beverages.

The ‘Sides’ Table. Stuffing, Mac & Cheese, Sweet Potatoes, Cranberries…just waiting on Green Beans.

The Small Table Centerpiece.

The Long Table Centerpieces.

We had a really wonderful day. Full of laughter and great food and love. I’m so glad that I could offer that for our families. And for Cedella. And I would gladly do it all again next year and the year after that and the year after that…

As long as Tracey’s there to help 😉

And because I couldn’t let the beautiful unseasonably warm day slip by without a few family pictures…

Top row: My sister Tracey, my brother Robbie, my baby sister Kylara. Middle: Me! Bottom row: My Mom Linda, Cedella, Mike’s brother Andre, Mike, Mike’s mom Becky and his sister Jilnar. (Was Monk’s head hurting? Or was she just over it? Poor little Diva.)

Just the Siblings

With our Parents.

Hamming it up with Auntie Kylara.

The Sims Ladies. Love these women more than life itself.

So that was our Thanksgiving. And now me and Monk are fighting the bubonic plague over here. We’ve been super duper sick since Saturday. And it’s not getting any better. Only moving to different parts of our bodies. Also, how long do we have to eat leftovers? We still have stuff in the fridge. Is it any good?

Anyways, tell me something good…I need it!! How was your Thanksgiving? Can’t wait to hear all about it!!

Comments

1. angie says:

Looks and sounds like an amazing Thanksgiving. I’m hungry all over again. I really loved your post last week about being thankful for your baby, too!

2. Looks like your first hosted Thanksgiving was a huge success! Everything looks amazing! :)

Final Day of November, Final Visions of Fall

3. Andrea Aiuto says:

Your thanksgiving sounded great. I am glad you were able to get help but props to you you amazing momma! The menu looked amazing and the set-up was lovely. I love all your family photos too, so nice!
    Ween I update my blog about NC and pics, which is needed, you will hear all about my thanksgiving. it was simple- great food cooked by my brother which was amazing, great family time…..etc.

Thanks girl! Stressful as it was I wouldn’t have it any other way 😉
      Can’t wait to see your pics from NC!!

4. That looks awesome!! I especially like the bar table – I love Cupcake wine and SkinnyGirl drinks. :) How fun to have your whole fam over for the feast. I love getting to see and spend time with everyone, too. As for the leftovers – we’re still eating ours, and will be for a few more days. I think they stay good for awhile. I hope you guys feel better soon!

The bar would definitely be my fav too…if I could enjoy it :( Oh well…there’s always next year! Isn’t Cupcake wine the bestest? I miss my Cupcake Red Velvet the most! And Skinnygirl…yum! It was so great to be with everyone and so great to not cook for a whole week (plus some)!!

5. Sara says:

Oooo, sister those family pics make me smile as big as Monk hammin’ it up with Kylara. That’s what it’s all about…gathering the tribe around the table in the spirit of THANKS.

Big love to all of you. And healin’ feeling better vibes to you and Monk.

Sara

Hey Sara!!! Glad we could make you smile!! We miss you…though I hear Leo is around these parts right now. Exactly right. Gathering in the spirit of thanks reminds me of how thankful we are that you are part of our tribe. Hoping to make it to the Cape this summer. Much love!!

6. Leslie says:

Dang, your turkey looks amazing! And I love all your decorations. Pinterest rocks, and I’m totally on board for a weekly craft day. Congrats on your turkey de-flowering!!!

Can you believe that turkey? That is like a pound of butter on and inside that bad boy. So. Damn. Good. Can’t wait for our crafting extravaganzas!!

7. Jennifer says:

Me too! Me too! I have to say, if I hadn’t prepped everything the day before and wrote down a cooking schedule for Thursday, I would’ve been cray-cray! This year was the fourth time I’ve cooked a turkey (first time hosting my whole family from CA), and every year I make Ina Garten’s roast turkey – sounds like yours: lemon, a gazillion sticks of butter, and thyme. It’s the only way I make my bird now – no fail!

Now, about that bacon & blue cheese dip and your spinach quiche – spill the beans! I need recipes! My mouth is watering just thinking of eating them! 😉 So, so glad to see that your Thanksgiving was fantastic!

Hahaha! Right? If I didn’t have a list and my sister to keep me on track none of it would have gotten accomplished. I’d still be on Pinterest looking for recipes 😉

This turkey recipe was Rachael Ray but it sounds like the Ina turkey. And I love me some Barefoot Contessa!! That’s all it was: butter, lemon, thyme and onion halves inside the cavity. Delicious!

I can’t find the Bacon Blue Cheese Dip recipe but it’s super easy. One package of cream cheese, one 24 oz. tub of sour cream, 2 8oz. containers of blue cheese, 2 packages of microwave bacon (cut up small), 3 green onions (cut up small) and mix it all together. Amazing! And here’s the link for the spinach quiche.

Glad you had a good one too!! Despite those crazy WW points!!

8. louise says:

Well, I finally figured out how to access your full blog.. I kept wondering why your posts were so short. Looks like your hubby is plumping up a bit! (Thats the sign of a good marriage, everyone fat and sassy!) Sounds like a splendid day and a great feast. Question, what about your dog? Did she love the turkey? Was she even there or was she out of town for the holiday? It was so good to see you at the library. Love ya, L

Well hello Louise!! Glad you found the whole shebang! We are keeping Mr. Mansour very well fed over here. That’s what happens when I’m pregnant, craving and cooking a lot. Fat and sassy indeed!

The poor dog. Kira has been limited to a strict dog-food only diet after a severe gas of flatulence. She was clearing rooms with her excessive gas. Between that and being chased around the house by a miniature dictator she’s been hiding a lot lately. Will try to get some good Christmas pictures of her though.

Love to you and happy holidays my friend!

9. 私は 一般ブログと私は純粋にあなたの感謝をインターネットサイト コンテンツ素材を。このコンテンツ 実際た私の興味をピーク。 私は と維持 選択を確認するブックマークあなたのインターネットに行きます。 非常に 非常に良いポストおやおや

10. しかしたくはこれは本当にこれがあると言います。お気に入りに保存| コンテンツ素材コンテンツ、

11. あなたはエルシェイクシャルムに行ったことがありますか? Imはシャルムエルシェイクのプロパティを検索するには、シャルムエルシェイクの不動産について何か面白いものを知っていますか?

12. X2 Samui Beach Resort was created to blend using the
    normal environment while offering peaceful uninterrupted views across Gulf of Thailand.
    https://tracky.com/~puzzlingniche recently posted..https://tracky.com/~puzzlingniche