(Nearly) Wordful Wednesday: In These Quiet Moments

As I edited these photos just a few moments ago I felt a contraction coming on. And it made these pictures so much more precious to me.

Me and my first born. My Mini. My sweet sassy little Monkey.

She didn’t want to nap today, must be something about the gorgeous 60 degree weather, but since I felt like throwing up for most of the afternoon, we just hung out and watched Rango until the neighbor came to the rescue with sidewalk chalk and silly string.

So by 6:30pm she was exhausted and clingy and wanted nothing but my lap and some Mama Milk.

So we snuggled up on the couch and she quieted down and it just so comforting for us both.

Holding her small body close to mine. Feeling her little hand gently rest on my chest. Smelling her precious girlie hair smell. Watching her eyes slowly flutter closed.

I know these moments are fleeting. Not that we will never have alone time. But soon our entire reality will change. Our dynamic will change. And inevitably our nursing relationship will change.

Yes I breastfeed my 2 year old. And I will be tandem nursing until Cedella is done with Mama Milk.

Because in these quiet moments with my oldest child I am reminded of all the reasons I am blessed and thankful and happy.

In these quiet moments I know that I am giving my child what she needs, when she needs it, whether that be nutrition or comfort or familiarity.

In these quiet moments motherhood has no negatives, only sweetness and warmth.

In these quiet moments we are so connected and together and one.

In these quiet moments she will always be my little baby girl, no matter how big or how old she is.

These quiet moments mean so much to me…And I am in no rush to be done with them.

Happy Wordless/Wordful Wednesday!!

Hopefully by the next time I post you will be seeing pics of our Little Nugget! Thoughts and prayers are greatly appreciated!

Comments

1. momto8blog says:

I breast fed 2 of my kids at the same time..eventually he just weaned himself when he was ready…..
    momto8blog recently posted..Wordless Wednesday

2. These breastfeeding photos are so sweet! My almost 3-year old self-weaned 6 months ago. I miss it, but I’m so glad that I was able to nurse her for 2.5 years. Good for you!

Thanks so much for stopping by and linking up! Hope you feel less pukey tomorrow!
    Kristi {at} Live and Love Out Loud recently posted..Missing My Babies {Wordless/Wordful Wednesday}

I know that Monk will wean herself soon. I’m just (selfishly) not ready yet. It’s so great you got to nurse a full 2.5 years!

3. debi9kids says:

OMgoodness. So you might in labor right now?!? How exciting!

Beautiful photos!

I was never able to nurse any of my babies, but I certainly do miss those very tender, sweet close moments like you describe.
    debi9kids recently posted..pausing from the moving chaos to breathe a little

Haha! Yes. I think I was definitely preparing for labor when I wrote this. You’ve got it, nursing or not, it’s that utter closeness that I want to hold onto forever.

4. Nothing quite like that closeness

5. Nothing like that awesome bond. The pictures are awesome – and I’ll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers with little Nugget’s arrival! :)
    Stacy Uncorked recently posted..Signs of Spring At Last

6. This post brought tears to my eyes. I remember freaking out in the days before Sedona’s arrival knowing that our family of 3 would change to 4… and how that would affect all of us. Little did I know just how much joy our 2nd child would bring to our lives.

I love that you posted pictures of you nursing your first born, with your second child days, or maybe even moments away from entering the world. I nursed until my 2nd was nearly 2, so I know how the “support” for nursing seems to dwindle, and practically disappears altogether after your child turns 1… so kudos to you for keeping it up and choosing to tandem nurse! I think it’s the best gift you can give your children!

Best of luck to you in the coming days. Been thinking of you quite a bit!!
    Kelli @ Momma Needs a Beer recently posted..Disney World Prep Stage Two: Let’s EAT!

Now that I’ve been in that exact same moment…you’re so damn right. There is no way to understand the amount of joy that Nugget brought with her.

I may not have the support of all the uninformed naysayers out there but I know I’ve got you and several other moms that can appreciate what I’m doing! Thanks for the thoughts!!

7. Such a lovely, beautiful post. Gorgeous pictures, too. Now I’m getting all emotional over here! You put into words exactly how I feel about nursing Anna. I’m going to try harder to enjoy the moments I have with her…
    Leslie Arends recently posted..Nap Time, I Thought We Were Cool

Thanks friend. Believe me, I know it’s really hard when you feel awful and your girl is having a two year old moment! lol

8. Kim says:

I hope you don’t feel the need to defend breast feeding her! I think it’s great, truly. I wish I could have gone so much longer. I love that pic of her hand reaching up for your face. So sweet.
    Kim recently posted..Apparently I’m A Size 8 . . . And A 10 .. . Also A 12 and 14

Haha! I don’t need to defend it to anyone I really care about. It’s just funny how people go from thinking ‘breast is best’ but that it cuts off at 12 months. Why? It’s so weird. I’m just gonna do what I do and know that is what’s best for my girls. Thanks for the support Mama!

9. nicole@muranoplace says:

those photos raminds me when i gave birth to my 1st babay. that was the golden memories..thanks for shearing this…

10. Mallory says:

Beautiful photos. Best wishes on a happy and safe delivery with baby #2
    Mallory recently posted..From Above

11. These gorgeous photo belong in a breastfeeding book! You will be my new shero when you pull off tandem nursing. You still have milk flow and not colostrum? Right now I am wondering if you are in labor or already delivered the little ladybug. Blessings my friend!
    Teresha@ Marlie and Me recently posted..Toddler Log: 2 Years and 31 Weeks Old

Thanks girl! Call me Super Breastfeeder cause the tandem nursing is in full effect. It was colostrum for a week before birth and a week after but C didn’t seem to mind. Funny enough I had given birth by the time you wrote this 😉 Can’t wait to see Little Chocolate Chip!

12. dumb mom says:

All of The Dudes self weaned (by choice or illness) shortly after they turned one. I cried every time! Good for your for having the determination and energy to nurse through pregnancy and beyond!
    dumb mom recently posted..Do Good: Toyota’s 100 Cars for Good Program.

Awww man. I would have been traumatized I think. But you got a full year to snuggle up close with all three dudes. That’s admirable!

13. Justine says:

My daughter is almost 10 months, and I’m still breastfeeding her. There’s nothing quite like it. Love that feeling of closeness.
    Justine recently posted..I wish I could capture it all

Good for you! Enjoy it while it lasts, because whether you stop nursing at 1 year or 2 or 3, it’s all over so fast. Thanks for visiting!

14. Emily says:

Thank you for sharing such beautiful pictures. I don’t know any mothers who live near me who are nursing toddlers and sometimes my two-and-a-half year old feel like we’re the only ones!
    Emily recently posted..Slowing Down (The View Through a Child’s Camera)

Thanks for visiting! Isn’t it nice to know that you’re not the only one out there? What helped me a lot was finding my local La Leche League meeting and seeing mothers of all ages of babies/kids breastfeeding. Keep it up!

15. Mindi says:

Love these photos! I am TTC while nursing and it’s just not happening. I tried with my first son as well but fertility did not return until I completely weaned. It makes me sad to wean for this reason but I’m in the “want another baby stage”. Babies just grow too quickly so why rush it.
    Mindi recently posted..Exploring Solomon’s Island with the Boys

Oh man. That’s really frustrating. And at the end of the day it’s what’s best for your family. If you have to wean because having another baby is important to your family then you gotta go for it. Don’t beat yourself up about it. I wish you the best and just started following your blog!

16. Lydia says:

Oh my word, I love this. I just found your blog. I have a four month old daughter and nursing never worked out for us or with my son, past a month. I envy beautiful moments like that. Congrats on your new baby.
    Lydia recently posted..the story of Us. Part 1.

I can’t imagine the frustration of not being able to nurse. But the important thing is that regardless of whether you nurse or not is having those moments of closeness. Thanks for visiting my blog!

17. Maggie S. says:

Gorgeous photos. Excellent Post.
    Maggie S. recently posted..Spring Break ’12