Week in My Life: Monday

Hello there! Welcome to Babies & Bacon and the Week in My Life meme. I’m linking up every single day this week with Melissa at Adventuroo for a snapshot into my life and family.

I really enjoyed participating last year and reading through my posts yesterday made me all at once nostalgic, happy and proud. You can read about it HERE.

I’m excited to see how this week plays out…

Today is a special day for Babies & Bacon as I launched my new blog design courtesy of Erika Zane at EZ Creative. She has worked tirelessly on the design and though we had a brief moment of panic frustration anxiety as my blog went down earlier, it all worked out and here it is! What do you think?

So this morning started out as many mornings in our house do. Panicked.

Izzie has been sick for the past five days after suffering an extreme reaction to a vaccine. For three days straight she had a fever over 101 that Tylenol couldn’t even put a dent in. She hadn’t slept for more than 45 minute stretches for three days. An exhausted baby = an exhausted family.

So when we finally got a chance to sleep for hours on end this morning? We took it. Cause who wants to get out of bed when this is your view?

After rushing to get myself and both girls dressed and ready, pack the diaper bag and shove food and coffee into our pie holes we were finally on our way to our monthly Lansing Babywearers meeting.

At 10am.

The meeting starts at 10am.

And that folks, is why I will be 10 minutes late to my own funeral.

I love going to the Babywearers meeting. Essentially it’s like a really fun playgroup with women that don’t look at me funny if I whip out a boob to feed my baby or spend a chunk of change on a very large (albeit beautiful and handmade) scarf to wrap my baby in.

Isora has finally got back into her personality after being sick for so long and played with other babies.

Cedella had a chance to play with her little friend, who she has been talking about for weeks. I think we need to plan a playdate asap.

After the meeting we headed home for lunch and naps.

Lunch was hot dogs, avocado, pears and fried rice.

Though it may seem trivial and inconsequential I love these times. Me and my girls just sitting, laughing, eating, enjoying each others company. Watching the girls interact with each other. Watching Izzie try new things. Seeing Ella becoming a little person and choosing what she wants.

After lunch I got the girls upstairs for nap time. After about 26 seconds of Mama Milk, Isora was out like a light. Poor baby needed a good nap.

I read three LONG books to Cedella and she wasn’t remotely tired. Someone has been taking naps very sporadically lately. I’m just hoping this isn’t the end of her naps. Cause Mama needs those two hours in the afternoon without a toddler speaking. Cause seriously, this girl never. Stops. Talking.

Instead of napping I insisted on quiet time. We went downstairs and she read books, played and talked to her imaginary friends while I checked email, read blogs, Facebooked and tried (in vain) to figure out something for the theme installation of the new design on here.

By the time 2pm hit we rushed around, once again, to get to the chiropractor before going to meet Michael to head for our family pumpkin picking outing.

We have this tradition. Well, had.

We usually go to the cider mill on my birthday. But Uncle John’s where we usually go was kinda lame the last time, not to mention the donuts weren’t fresh, so I complained that I didn’t want to go there and so we didn’t.

But we also didn’t go anywhere else. And I really missed the tradition and family-time of it all…

So today was an unseasonably warm October day (70 in Michigan in late October? Crazy.) so we decided to go to the Peacock Road Tree Farm for some pumpkins. And it was fantastic.

Besides pumpkins there’s a fantastic Animal Park full of barnyard animals to look at.

Cedella was in complete awe to see bunnies and llamas and goats up close. Though she immediately said that the place was ‘stinky’ and put her finger under her nose. I had to bust out the line ‘everybody poops’.

Despite the smell she persevered and actually made friends with a couple of kids.

Isora even got in on the act as she tried to claw her way out of the wrap to get at the goats.

And got honked at by some geese. Man does she love playing around with her Daddy.

Picking pumpkins is like picking Christmas trees. Just when you think you found a perfect one there’s another one that looks slightly better. Though in this case, so late in the season, everything was pretty rotten.

Thankfully Izzie was sleeping, cause Ella was being very picky. First she wanted green. Then orange. Then orange and green. In the end she settled on the one we suggested. At least she followed my advice once today.

By the time we got back to the parking lot, with our four pumpkins Isora was awake and smiling. She’s just a little pumpkin herself.

So glad that we actually went through with this idea. Now we have a new fun place to get pumpkins AND Christmas trees :)

We headed home to make a nice fall dinner, Tuscan Kale and White Bean Soup. It was delicious!

And while last year Monk was so intent on being in the kitchen with me, this year, she was all about watching episodes of Dora on Netflix. Boo.

Bedtime was a blur since both girls were tired and we wanted to watch the last Presidential debate. Michael is in charge of getting Cedella down and I’m responsible for Isora.

Someone was more than a little sad that I was putting on her pajamas.

But put a nipple in her mouth and all is right with the world.

With both girls asleep it was time for the debate and some grown-up time.

I wouldn’t call it ‘quality time’ as I was on Twitter, Facebook and text throughout the debate, but the Mr and I definitely enjoyed ourselves.

I am once again incredibly thankful that when it comes to politics and raising our kids my husband and I are 100% in agreement. Otherwise things would be pretty damn difficult over here.

And that is how the Mansour family does a Monday in 2012.

How was your Monday? Do you like the new blog design? Can’t wait to see what all of you were up to today…

Thanks to Melissa for another great meme this year!! Click the button below to find other awesome ‘Week in My Life’ posts!

Adventuroo

Comments

1. Joules says:

Love the design, cute, clean and stylish. And your kiddos are totes adorbs!
    Joules recently posted..Week In My Life, 2012: Monday

2. You web site does look great. Of course this is the first time I’ve visited but whatever changes you made — they rock. Love seeing your babies in the pumpkin patch. My babies are not such babies anymore but I can never get enough of pumpkins in October.
    Jamie@SouthMainMuse recently posted..Mom at football practice. A vlog.

3. Lori says:

Love the idea of blogging about what you do each day for a week! Looking forward to reading about the rest of your week. I just recently became a mom and have a 2 month old little girl. You went out 3 times, with 2 kids in one day! I’m happy right now if i get 1 event outside the house, by myself. I”m sure it will get easier. Love the new design.

Thanks for visiting Lori! This is the second year I’m participating. It’s crazy to read about how much more I got down with one kid versus two, but we seem to have way more activities now than we did then.

And don’t worry, you’re only 2 months into motherhood. Getting out and about is quite a challenge at first but it gets easier everytime. I promise. Go back and read some of my posts from 2010 and you’ll see, it’s a steep learning curve but we all go through it 😉

4. Great pics and I love the new blog design. Congrats on the change. Bummer about a sick baby and the end of naps. The end of naps is the absolute worst, I hope this isn’t the end of them for you. I grew up in Michigan and definitely miss fall there. Glad you were able to make the most of an unseasonably warm day. Look forward to seeing more on Tuesday.

Hey Alissa! Sometimes a fresh look is all we need to reinspire our passion for writing, right?

Glad to say that naps are back!! Ella has napped two days in a row. Thankfully!

Didn’t know you were a Michigander! It is a lovely state to experience all four seasons, no?

5. Aw, your girls are so cute.

We haven’t made it out to the pumpkin patch yet this year and I don’t know that we will. November is seriously creeping up on me. I guess we’ll have to figure out something fun to do with supermarket pumpkins to make up for it. lol.
    Jen @ Cuddles and Chaos recently posted..Versatile Files: The Motorcycle Jacket

Thanks Jen! I think your girls are super adorable too.

And believe me, we would have made the supermarket pumpkins work too. Pumpkins are pumpkins, right? Still think we won’t have them carved until Halloween night though! lol

6. Amiyrah says:

Pumpkin picking! Those pictures were so cute, especially the geese honking at your husband and little darling. We get to finally go pumpkin picking this Saturday and I’m so afraid that there won’t be any good pumpkins left. Luckily, they have apple picking too, so that will be a plus. Can’t wait to see what you post tomorrow. Hope you can hop over to my site and check out what we did on our Monday, Have a great day!
    Amiyrah recently posted..A Week In My Life: Monday

I love the ‘Geese Attacks’ picture too. They were giggling hysterically as the geese chased them around. Hope you have an amazing time this Saturday, and don’t worry, if the patch you visit is anything like the one we went to, the picked all the best ones and had them for sale at the parking lot! lol

Going to check your blog now!

7. I love that quote about Christmas trees and pumpkins!!

You have the CUTEST little girls. The picture with her finger under her nose is TOO precious.
    Sarah @ TM2TS recently posted..A Week in MY Life 2012: Monday

Hi Sarah! Glad you stopped in for a visit!

Isn’t that the truth though? Can’t tell you how many trees we’ve accidentally cut over the years only to find our dream tree and little further down the line.

8. Tracey says:

I love the new design! It’s modern, crisp and fresh. The photos are great. And I’m so excited about your “week in the life” posts. I loved it last year and love it even more rereading them now. Cedella with the stinkfinger is hilarious. She seems to be growing into a little girly-girl, which is so cute. As as always, the girls make my best-dressed list. And their mom’s not half bad.

Also, I love that you guys keep with the traditions. Your kids will come to know them and expect them, eventually reject them, then look back on them fondly. It’s their birthright. Remember all of us climbing in bed with mom and dad to watch TV on Saturday mornings? One of the best memories of my life. You’re an amazing mother (and sister… and wife, probably, but I can’t directly speak to that), and I wish you continued success and growth with your revitalized blog and all your other endeavors.

Thanks lady. You are, as always, my biggest champion.

Also, when my girls pile into our bed on Sunday mornings a little piece of my giggles inside and remembers those mornings with Mom and Dad too.

9. Fun new design!! I especially love the header! Looks like a very special day you captured!!! All the shots of your kids are so sweet & adorable. Sedona is into all things owls — I must know where Cedella’s barrette came from! And I’m so with you on being married to someone you consider a partner in all things: politics, child-raising, drinking… I don’t get the yin/yang couples. Sure, maybe opposites attract at first… but, then what?! I don’t know how couples like James Carvell & Mary Matalin survive.
    Kelli @ Momma Needs a Beer recently posted..Week In My Life: Monday

10. Your kids are beautiful!
    Heather @ Kraus House Mom recently posted..A Week in My Life…Monday

11. Love the new digs! She did a nice job on your design!

I really love the picture of you and Ella picking out pumpkins and her stinkfinger one- haha. My oldest does that too any time we get near farm animals. Good thing I’m not a farmer (but then he probably wouldn’t know any better). Thanks for participating again this year!
    Melissa {adventuroo} recently posted..Week in My Life 2012: Tuesday

Thanks Mel! And can’t thank you enough for hosting this meme again this year!

And the Stink Finger is totally my favorite. Somehow I have a feeling that picture will resurface around the time Ella is getting married, you know what I mean? lol