F&%* You Stitch Fix

*In my rage I mistakenly called this company by the wrong name. I have corrected my text but just want to be clear in efforts to be fair.

In December I heard about this new company called Stitch Fix. A friend of mine reviewed the site on her blog and was thrilled with their service. Here’s their blurb about the service they offer:

“Stitch Fix is a personal styling service that delivers a truly personalized Fixof accessibly priced items directly to doors across the United States. Stitch Fix hand picks pieces for each client, to ultimately help them look and feel their best.”

Being that I trust her judgment and loved the idea of being assisted with feeling my best in clothes, I immediately filled out a ‘Fix’ request form.

I know what you may be thinking…”You’ve got great style, why would you need help picking out clothes?” So, maybe I’m tooting my own horn a bit by assuming you all think I have great style. Truth be told I’ve always been a clothes and fashion girl. I’m not a yoga-pants-out-of-the-house girl. I like to dress. I love clothes. But lately I am just struggling to find things that work on my body and are current while still being age appropriate.

So I was all excited to try this service, thinking that some hip 20-somethings in San Fran would surely be able to style me into an instant Cool Mom. And then I waited.

And waited.

And waited.

Other friends and fellow bloggers had already received their invites and their boxes. Where was mine?

Finally I got up the nerve to contact their FB admin to see just what the hold up was.

And this is the response I got…

HI Alexia,
I just spoke with customer service in regards to your profile and the wait list. Unfortunately, we have a very limited amount of XL inventory currently and we do not feel confident that we can pack you a great Fix. I understand that this is really disappointing but it is temporary. We are still a tiny company and while we are in Beta, we do all of the shipping, styling, and buying out of our San Francisco offices and we don’t have as much influence as we need in order to get our brands to carry a broad range of sizes.
We are currently in the process of changing this issue as quickly as possible. Our goal is to make women feel delighted and amazing with their style and experience. I would really like you to be a part of this and as soon as our vendors start shipping us all sizings, we would love to be your stylish best friend.
Thanks so much for your understanding and I apologize for the inconvenience.

To put it delicately I was incredibly hurt. As I read this tears welled up in my eyes and shame blazed red across my cheeks. I immediately felt like some huge over-weight unworthy person. All the feelings I’ve been having about being the largest I’ve ever been came rushing to the surface. It was crushing.

But as the afternoon wore on I began to get mad. Really REALLY mad. So mad in fact that the first draft of this blog post is in the garbage because every other word was started with an F and ended with a UCKING.

Now I am still angry, but I have more clarity and understand that Style Fix and I will never be ‘stylish best friends’ cause Style Fix is an asshole.

Here’s my letter to this absurd company that I will be posting on their FB page asap.

Dear Stitch Fix,
After receiving your letter in regards to why you are not currently able to ‘pack me a great Fix’ I have to say, I was more than a little bit hurt. And now, I am downright angry.

You claim to have limited inventory in XL sizes because you vendors aren’t shipping you larger sizes and you don’t have very much influence with your brands and that you are currently in the process of changing this issue?

Well thanks but no thanks.

Even if I was to drop two dresses sizes overnight, I won’t be using your service now, next month or ever.
You claim to want to help women feel their best and in one cold and off-hand email you made me feel worse than I ever have about myself, my body and my size. Shame on you.

Not that anyone in your company asked, but my wardrobe is full of items in sizes from M to XL, depending on the brand, but I felt XL best suited my hips for bottoms and dresses. And, like many mothers, I am used to dressing to camouflage the parts of my body I find the least attractive, so I often buy a size larger though it may not truly fit.

It is reasons such as these that I sought out your service intially. It was my hope that one of your ‘expert’ stylists could help me get my fashion groove back. But I see that wasn’t meant to be.

Because despite being in ‘beta’ mode or not having ‘influence’ with your brands as an American company catering towards American women you really should have been thinking a lot harder about how to dress the more than 50% of women who are over a size 14 in our country. Why would any company, beta or not, begin without catering to such a large percentage of their target market?

My body may not be model skinny or ideal but my body is strong enough to have held up loved ones in grief. My body has packed a million moving boxes. My body has swam two oceans and many seas. My body has filled a beautiful white dress as I said the words “I do”. And my body has grown and delivered two healthy children without surgery or drugs. My body is quite amazing really.

Essentially you told me that my body has a few more inches than your brands are willing to cover or that your company is completely unprepared to help? Well fuck you Style Fix. Get a handle on the real world and real women because without that handle you are doomed to fail as a viable option for American women.

Good luck. You’re going to need it.
Alexia Mansour

From now on I will be back to loving my perfectly imperfect body and continuing to work on being an active and healthy person in all aspects of life. And I will continue to rock my awesome style with the help of great stores like Loehmann’s and Target and little boutiques like Conversation Pieces, because not only do they have great selections of styles, but they get real women’s bodies. Who needs a stylist anyways? (Well…Lindsey Lohan does but I digress…)

Where are your favorite places to shop? Any online stores or brands I really MUST check out?

Thanks for reading my rant.

Comments

1. Teresa
    says:

Im sorry you were hurt BUT Ihave to say that I thought their letter was not cold in any way. From what I read, I assume the size XL sold out fast, as a popular size, and they said it is temporarily out of stock. Sorry you are angry. Ive never tried a site like that.
    Teresa recently posted..fear no evil

says:

Sorry lady but I have to disagree. Many other women have experienced this response from this company. I think the email was meant to come off as nice but I find it condescended and faux-sympathetic. Thanks for reading my rant Teresa. It’s good to ‘see’ you again!

• Jamie says:

I agree with you Alexia… this company is bullshit. …I wasn’t aware of how this company works. I was unaware they weren’t able to cater to curvy or plus-size body types. So when I got done filling out my style profile on the website, this is what I got….

Thanks for requesting an invite!
        Right now we are only able to style women between sizes 0 – 14 within the United States. We apologize for the inconvenience. You’re on our list though, so as soon as we expand our service we will let you know!
        In the meantime, follow us on Facebook or check out our blog.

…Uhh… Not thinks Stitch Fix. You can blow me.

2. Katie

Alexia,
    I totally TOTALLY wanted to try Stitch Fix too. I am so jealous of all my {tiny} blogging friends who look so great in their clothes, and as a teacher and mom of an almost one-year old, I want to get some style back even if I don’t have my old body back. I didn’t even try because I assumed my size 14/16 body and my almost D cup bewbs would not be what they offer…at least not based on the people I see using Stitch Fix. And if I am honest, I didn’t try because I didn’t want to be where you are…hurt and feeling angry. How sad is that? I want to be styled too, but apparently I am not the right size to style. Stupid.

I am so sorry you had this happen. :(
    Katie recently posted..my words

says:

I knew I wasn’t the only one feeling this way after seeing all the excited ladies getting their ‘fix’. I’m with you on the 14/16 D-cup and wish that we wouldn’t have to be scared of feeling hurt by some stupid company. I say we start our own company!!

And you said bewbs ;) Love.

• Anne-Marie
        says:

At first, I thought their email sounded reasonable. I’ve never met you in person. But 14/16?! What’s so hard about that? Isn’t that where, um, lots of the entire world is? And sure, they get one shirt from a brand sometimes, but they have to give up sending you a box? Mine had two shirts, a cardigan and a dress in it. How hard could it REALLY be to put four items in a totally regular, if not “sample,” size together?
        Anne-Marie recently posted..We Are On Good Morning America… On Monday! March 11!

says:

That’s what I don’t get either Anne-Marie. I can easily wear a L or XL top, that can’t be too hard to put together, right? Doesn’t make any sense at all. Thanks for commiserating with me!

3. Laura Plee says:

I think your reaction is exactly how I would have felt. Shame on them, indeed! The fashion industry talks about celebrating womens curves, just as long as we are in their parameters of an aceeptable size I suppose! Rediculous.

says:

Right?! Glad I’m not alone in feeling so frustrated by this!

P.S. Hope you are well and let’s get our little ladies together soon!

4. Amber West
    says:

I get your frustration. I really do. I was excited when I saw the awesome stuff a fellow blogger was getting from StitchFix, and as soon as I thought it might be doable in the budget, I tried to sign up.

Sadly, at a size 14, I am not eligible.

For the commenter above, this isn’t solely an issue of items being out of stock. Every woman my size that I’ve talked to has been denied.

And it does make me sad. And Alexia, I totally get why you’re upset.

I’m not directing my frustration at StitchFix, though. I only say that because I’ve been to the mall. I’ve shopped in the stores, and I’ve seen what’s out there for woman of my size. We exist in some sort of non-existent part of the clothing world. In a regular store, I’m hard pressed to find something cute in my size, and in a plus-size store, the styles are often not-so-much stylish, or on the bigger side (it’s like they vanity size or something).

I can only imagine if I can barely find a cute top and pair of jeans spending the entire weekend scouring every store in the mall, a small start-up dealing with local designers (particularly given the region where they are) would encounter similar issues.

Do I think StitchFix should make the extra effort to accommodate more sizes, particularly if most of the country is that size? Most definitely. I even think it would be a very lucrative move on their part.

But, given the state of the clothing industry overall and the manpower behind a startup company, I get why they haven’t.

I don’t like it. At all. But sadly, I get it.

(PS – You’re gorgeous and probably don’t need them anyway. :) )
    Amber West recently posted..March BHBC Review – Let’s Pretend This Never Happened

says:

Man, I had a feeling it wasn’t just the people I was talking to that were having this issue. Now I don’t feel like I’m making some crazy size-ist rant. It’s horrible.

I know how frustrating it is to go into regular stores and climb into the dressing room and come out defeated. Or going into the dressing room of the plus sized store and come out of the dressing room feeling like you just can’t win. I couldn’t agree with you more on the fact that the industry itself is severely lacking in cool clothes for 14+ but that is changing in many ways and there are options if companies are interested in seeking them out.

Back in my ‘skinny’ girl size 8/10 days I lived in Chicago and managed a clothing boutique. My boss and I worked long and hard to get as many brands as possible that had larger sizes. If they didn’t go to XL or larger, we didn’t buy from that company. The trade shows and such are full of options. Look at the Gap, Old Navy, and Target which are all carrying trendy clothes in plus sizes. There’s also Asos Curve, H&M and Torrid which are super fashionable and going up to size 24.

That’s why I’m so incredibly frustrated with Stitch Fix because they started a business and secured capital without including us in their potential client base but marketing it to us anyways. As a new start-up they could have blazed a trail and tried to really reach as many women as possible. But they didn’t have a single plan for our size women. It’s just so disappointing because if anyone needs the help it’s us over here in 14+ no-man’s land.

Thanks for commiserating with me Amber. And making me blush ;)

• Jenna says:

Just to show you what your arguments would look like turned around on you. At your inclusive Chicago clothing boutique, did you also have petite sizes? And did you refuse to buy from companies that did not have petite sizes? If not, then f you and your elitist boutique. How dare you start a company that doesn’t cater to short people too? You can and should do everything in your power to accommodate anyone whose feelings might be hurt when they can’t find something to wear at your boutique even if your boutique may not have the resources to do so. And even if you would be spread so thin trying to accommodate everyone that you wouldn’t be able to do a great job for anyone. The reality is that unless your boutique was out of the norm, I’m sure the resources were not there to meet that type of standard. And I also suspect that you would have been frustrated after making efforts to be inclusive if someone came around and accused you of being discriminatory just because you failed to stock sizes in petite or size even bigger than 24.

Moreover, Stitch Fix never said that plus sizes were not in their potential client base. If you read the email, they said that they really hoped to include more sizes as they grew and were able to handle the demand so that they could provide the experience that they wanted for each and every customer. What is wrong with that?

says:

Jenna » We did carry petite sizing, as much as possible, and since we were also a vintage store had many petite options available. The thing that perhaps you’re missing is that in the initial sign-up email you could choose XS, S, M, L, XL or Plus-size. This was their options, not something I wrote in. I chose XL thinking that any fix that had bottoms would have to be in an XL size. I was never asked for my measurements or ACTUAL clothing size, just my own guestimation. They listed it as an option without the ability to accommodate that option. Since you like hypotheticals so much, how would you feel if you found an awesome resort on the beach and they were offering a special on beach-front rooms and then when you requested a beach front room they said they didn’t actually have any beach-front rooms. Wouldn’t that make you a bit bananas?

And yes, it is discriminatory. The entire industry is discriminatory. Stitch Fix as a start-up could have become a leader in the industry and chosen to work with companies on the forefront of clothing all sizes, petite to plus and everything in between. But no. They’re not fashion leaders. They’re fashion sheep. Baaaaaaaa. They very plainly said to me, to several other bloggers and many women on their FB site that they are not currently in the business of dressing larger than a size 10 women. Sure, they’d like to be my stylish best friend some day down the line. The problem with that is that it means that not only did they not anticipate a want for stylish 10+ clothing, but it isn’t a priority for them and I really despise feeling like someone’s fluffy afterthought. So I will gladly take my business to other companies. Or maybe I’ll start a big-girl shopping service of my own.

• Jenna says:

I appreciate your response here. I see what you are saying here and I really do respect your points here. The only difference would be that in my mind, when I hear start-up.. I think new business with limited resources. In order for a new business to succeed, the business should only bite off as much as it can chew. I think it makes sense that they start small and expand once they get the hang of it. If they try to accommodate everyone at once, I see a disaster where they won’t be able to do a good job for anyone and that won’t lead to success.

I respect that you have decided to take your business elsewhere. I think it is unfortunate, because I’ve found that it is a fun concept. And I really don’t think that the fact that they did not roll out immediately with over 10 sizes means anything other than the fact that they have to draw a line somewhere. And the fact is that, as referenced elsewhere on this discussion, that it can be harder to get the quality fun fashionable stuff for bigger sizes.

But btw I think it would be a great idea to have a “big-girl shopping service.” There appears to be a demand and I do think that styling big girls is different than styling short and stout girls (like me), is different than styling pear shaped girls, is different than styling girls with big boobs.. And as has been said, it is harder to find styles for off size people.. So this type of service might be even more rewarding/lucrative. If I had an eye for fashion and a patience for shopping.. I would have loved to have gotten in on these type of concepts on the ground floor.. I think it is brilliant!

5. Teresha
    says:

Way to go Warrior Mom! As someone who has been up and down the size scale from 6 to 14, I have experienced the thrill of being catered to by clothing stores when I am smaller and ignored when I am larger. Once in DC I walked into a boutique to be told they did not carry clothes for my frame…I kid you not. I cried on at the corner and wish I had the moxie to go back at tell the saleswoman to go jump in the icy Potomac.
    Anyways, I have learned to appreciate all my curves over the years and only wear brands that embrace real women. eShakti is my favorite. They to custom styling which is great for me (small on top, wider on the bottom). I have a $25 gift code they gave me for working on their Spring Collection campaign. Email me and I’ll send it to you!
    Teresha recently posted..Welcome to the Spring 2013 #fashionistaevents Giveaway!

says:

You know me. I can’t stand injustice even if it’s in the fashion world! I would go bananas if someone straight told me i couldn’t shop in their store. That’s disgusting. You’re right, we all need to appreciate our curves!! Definitely going to check out eShakti asap. Thanks for the offer, I’ll email you soon ;)

6. You go, girl!!! I am SOOOO happy you wrote them exactly what you did… AND I’m so happy you shared it on here. I too, have clothes sized M-XXL depending on the brand. My weight has fluctuated so much over the years; I’ve been a size 10-18 over the last 3 years alone — and brands do make a difference. I have a pair of DKNY size 10 jeans I can still [barely] squeeze into (damn IPAs) and a pair of size 14 Levi’s that fit pretty similarly. I HATE how companies fuck with women’s sizes… and all of this bullshit REALLY gets to me. The numbers game bloggers have to play makes me sick… this time it’s not “page-views” it’s waist-size?!? And people wonder why women feel so competitive with each other. Because you’re forcing us to compete!!!!

Would the same thing have happened to a man?!? No… men don’t necessarily need help finding something in the “perfect” size because their sizes don’t fluctuate like ours — both physically, and fashion-wise. A size 34 waisted pair of jeans is universal.

Thanks for freely speaking openly about this topic. I was in tears with you, sister.
    Kelli @ Momma Needs a Beer recently posted..I’m Too Old For That…

says:

Thanks Momma!! The entire size wars drive me nuts. Just make a standard size already. I don’t need vanity sizing but I do want to know when I walk into a store what I should take into the dressing room.

I’ve never had the stomach to play the page-views and sponsorship game. I just don’t want to be denied because I don’t post often enough, short enough or have enough followers. But seriously? Deny me cause of my weight. I’m SO fucking over it.

Thanks for commiserating with me friend! Cause you know I’d rather drink a brew with friends then fit in some skinny britches from California ;)

7. I’ve never heard of Stitch Fix, but what a stupid response they sent you! They don’t carry enough XL to send you anything?? Um, wtf? And I totally agree with commenters above – shame on them for making you feel so hurt and angry. You are beyond beautiful, so I say fuck em. ;) Brava, lady, brava!
    Jocelyn | ScooterMarie recently posted..I’m a pretty damn good mom after all

says:

Hey Jocelyn!! Missed you!! Apparently they don’t carry ANY XL cause several other bloggers have noted that they have been given this response and on their FB page they just told a women they have no XL and no plus-sizes anytime soon. They suck. Royally. Thanks for having my back!

8. I am so sorry to hear that you had this experience. But,, I love that you spoke up to them on their Facebook page and here on your blog as well. Hopefully you have saved another woman from having the same experience.

Also, you are BEAUTIFUL!
    Alissa | CleverCompass.com recently posted..Jimmy Fallon’s Holiday Madness: Week Two

says:

Sadly they deleted my post from their FB page and blocked me from their page. Because I had a dissenting opinion perhaps? So sad. I But huge thanks for your kind words and support Alissa!!

9. Kayla says:

And just for the record i the UK we call them personal shoppers and they quite often dont have a clue and make you look terrible, you dont need their help!

10. AnnS says:

I’m sorry they treated you with disdain! My closet is mainly classics with some extras for fun. Jcrew and Landsend are two favorites that have excellent, sharp basics in sizes to 16 and up to 22 in their plus lines. I also sew, and of course, then I can have anything I want. I love hotpatterns.com, Christine Jonson Patterns (cjpatterns.com) and BurdaStyle, which frankly, has the BEST looking clothing in sizes from 44-52 (european sizing, that’s I think a 22/44) that I have ever seen. I’m a smack-in-the-middle size 8 (in Euro I’m a 40) but I’m petite with gargantuanly long arms and legs so I often sew just so my pants and sleeves aren’t too short. Style is never a size and I think both Landsend (and definitely Jcrew) have online personal shoppers who will help you. You can tell them areas you wish to camouflage. I did a mom-style shopping day at Goodwill with six local moms and we started with jackets – the jacket is the piece that upgrades everything, so I helped moms of all sizes find good-fitting jackets they liked. We moved onto tops that were more than tee shirts, and most of the moms found some of those at the thrift stores. And lastly I’d look at upscale consignment, where I am certain you will find someone who can do a personal style session with you! I’m no pro, but I love fashion, dress well and was able to help a few moms upgrade their style using thrift store purchases!

says:

Thanks so much for your suggestions and offer of help Ann! I remember you hosting the Goodwill shopping day and thought that was a fun idea. I’m really good at stocking my closet with basics but it’s the trendier and fashion-forward pieces that I want to be able to find and we all know Lansing is seriously lacking in the fashion-forward boutique department. I was a fashion design major in college and can sew but with two littles under 3 and no dedicated sewing area I really can’t work on any garments right now. If I only had more time I would definitely be scouring the thrifts and consignments more regularly but that’s why this service was so appealing, you know? Would love to join you for the next thrift day you schedule!

11. Jenna says:

The fact that Stitch Fix does not carry clothes/less inventory in your size is not a personal attack. I wear petite sizes because I’m short. If Stitch Fix sent me that same email saying they don’t carry clothes in my size or have fewer petite sizes, I suspect that no one would be up in arms about that. I thought your response was rude and out of line when compared to the perfectly reasonable and polite company response. There was no reference to how your body was not ideal. These were the thoughts that your mind leap to. If I were told that this company did not carry petite sizes, I would never come to the automatic conclusion that they were insulting my height. I would simply conclude that they dont carry petite sizes much like every other company in America. Plus sized women are way luckier than petite ladies with regard to selection by the way. More stores seem to have plus sizes than petite sizes. Honestly I don’t know why this issue annoys me so much. I have no affiliation with the company other than as a customer. It just bothers me that people act unreasonably like this. Although it is much to ask for. I would hope that you would reexamine whether the email was indeed harsh and insulting or if you read into the words based on your own insecurities and life experiences. It may help to give you perspective to substitute the word petite sizes.

says:

Jenna » Curious, were you able to be accommodated by Stitch Fix for petite sizing? Seems like you have a lot of venom for someone who is being serviced by a company that is able to help one niche sizing concern but not another. If you’ve had a great experience with the company why do you care if I don’t? If you don’t work for the company then why would you even care?

In my opinion, and every single time I read it, their response to me, and many many other women, may have been worded politely, but the meaning is still nothing but thoughtless and rude. That is my opinion and this is my blog to rant about it. I very clearly stated that what upset me is how the response made me feel about myself and why, perhaps you missed that part in suggesting that my response was based on my own insecurities and life experiences. I don’t think that my response is any more unreasonable than the response I received from Stitch Fix.

Substituting petite sizes for plus-sizes doesn’t change my opinion. Because if you were indeed able to be ‘fixed’ despite having such problems finding petite sizes elsewhere than I’m even more offended that average and plus-size clothing is unobtainable from this service.

Have you never been made to feel less than what you think you are? Have you never had anyone exclude you or treat you as if you’re not equal to others? If not, you’re lying. And if so, I would think, you would be able to relate instead of spouting such apathetic and delusional rants.

• Jenna says:

In response to your question, I have been discriminated against because I’m an ethnic minority. And I’ve been told to my face by strangers that I should lose weight because that is acceptable in my culture and my curves aren’t because I should be rail skinny. I’ve been treated differently because I am a female in a male dominated workplace. So the fact that you make unfounded accusations about who I am tells me a lot about you. I do relate with those who have been discriminated against because I have been discriminated against. In ways that you probably would have no way to relate to. But I recognize when people haven’t been discriminated against, such as in this case.

And the petite example wasn’t to say that Stitch Fix also discriminates against short people. It’s a test to see whether you can honestly say that you are outraged in the same way when you read the exact same email with the word petite sizes rather than XXL sizes. If you feel the same anger that you did, then I guess we read that e-mail differently and that the words can be explicitly hurtful. But I suspect that you would not feel that those same words would have been hurtful at all if it were directed to someone who is looking for petite sizes. If you have a different reaction to the words based on the substitution of “petite sizes”, then it is not the words that are problematic but instead, you are the one who is reacting to the words.

I realized what it is that offended me about your post and compelled me to write (other than the fact that I do like to challenge people who I think are dead wrong). Your entire post is selfish and entitled, which came through pretty clearly in your response to me. Your whole question about whether I could get fitted and if so how that makes you “even more offended”… Why would that make you even more offended? Because I’m able to fit in the sizes that Stitch Fix offers? Is your perception that if you can’t get clothes, then other size challenged people shouldn’t either? And like you said, you wear a medium to an extra large… I also can wear a range of sizes especially when it comes shirts, but not every shirt would work for me. Unfortunately, I suspect that none of the pants that they have in stock would fit right and that only some of dresses would work for me.

My perception is that you are reading malice into an entirely benign e-mail. Just because you are sensitive about your weight does not mean that the e-mail was intended to be hurtful and target you personally. You know what discrimination is. When you are standing in line at the zoo with your little sister and baby brother to ride the elephant and the guy behind you who is twice as tall and probably almost twice as old as you starts calling us chinks and telling us to go back to china. He says it loudly throughout the entire wait. And your little brother asks in tears why the guy is saying that to us. Where the people next to him look embarrassed and actually even apologize to you but don’t tell him to stop. That is an example of when someone is discriminating against you and purposefully targeting you in an attempt to hurt your feelings. This is a situation where you are mad that a company is not catering to your every needs in the exact way and the exact time that you demand it. I’m sorry that you read into the e-mail in a way that you felt hurt. But it seems clear to me by your response to me that you are the type of person who would read something into nothing. Your response to me was not thoughtful. Your response simply attacked me and ignored considering any questions that you were unable to answer.

So what size range should Stitch Fix offer? What response would you have suggested that this company give to those sizes outside the range you suggest that would be more appropriate than the one that you received?

12. Jenna says:

I had high hopes when I saw your last response that you were a person whom one could have an actual dialog with rather than the person who ignores and dismisses actual arguments as “apathetic and delusional rants.” Whether or not you are an ethnic minority has no relevance to any of the points that I raised.. Why would I ask you if you were an ethnic minority? I was simply responding to your straw argument that I have no empathy for your inability to get clothes in your size through Stitch Fix because I have never been treated differently. Again it is not a competition. I’m not trying to say that I have been discriminated against more than you have. Bottom line is that you don’t have an answer to most of my questions. And i am still very interested to hear your example of a better, more sensitive response to those who have not yet be able to be fitted through Stitch Fix.

Keep in mind too that if you start a “big-girl clothing service,” you are bound to run into people who may need a bigger-big-girl clothing service. What would you say to those girls that will avoid the same type of complaints/hurt feelings that you have about Stitch Fix? (keeping in mind that the hurt feelings would probably be even stronger because, they would be getting rejected from the big-girl clothing service)

I hate complainers. It is easy to complain. If you are going to complain, I would think it would be constructive criticism. Or better yet, reasonable solutions to problems.

• Samantha Nguyen says:

I agree with Jenna. Plenty of stores state that they carry XS-XL, and when I get there, XS has been sold out, with plenty of XL left. I don’t bitch and complain about that, nor do I claim discrimination due to the fact that a size is not in stock. In fact, when I shop at Cathy Jean, a lot of times they ONLY have 1 shoe in a size 5 at the store. I live in a densely populated area where there are a ton of other Asians with small feet, so technically they should be stocking more 5s, right? They don’t, though. Often times, shoe makers don’t even MAKE a size 5. It makes shoe shopping very difficult if I’m not looking for something that lights up every time I walk, or velcros closed. Some sizes are limited because 1.) too many people are that size 2.) not enough people buy that size. Just because they don’t accommodate me, doesn’t mean they’re being discriminatory.

FYI: I absolutely HATE the term “REAL WOMEN” … what does that make me? A fake woman? Just because I’m not a size 14? I’m a size 2-4, but I’m also only 5’1. That’s EXTREMELY hurtful and exclusionary. Also, shoemakers should make me feel like a real women too, I would love to wear cute heels/flats in a size 5, right?

Also, not all XL are overweight. My bf’s sister who is full of muscle is a L/XL. If what you pack is mostly fat, you will look fat. Don’t clump all XL/Ls into the same category, as everyone’s body is different.

You sound extremely entitled.

says:

Why be insulting on something that is clearly my own personal experience and is stated as such? I find it so transparent and silly that so many people who ‘love’ Stitch Fix have come to this page to bash me. If you love it so much than how did you find this post? Why would you be searching for a negative review of something you love so much? Why do you care if one person doesn’t? And why on Earth are all the small, skinny people pissed off at me for not being able to wear the same cute stuff they can wear? It boggles my mind. The simple fact is that this post is obviously threatening to someone at Stitch Fix that keeps sending you all over here to pick me apart. The more comments this gets the higher on the Google SEO it will go, the more people will see my rant. Bravo for your counter-intuitive bullshit. Go troll somewhere else.

13. Cassandra says:

This is absurd. Maybe if you had been patient you would have gotten your XL stitch fix like I did. It was awesome and even if I had to wait extra that’s not a big deal. Stitchfix is still growing, give them some time to work things out sheesh. They’re limited XL inventory isn’t a personal affront on you or plus sizes (like myself), so calm down. Not everything has to cater to overweight people, but at least they’re trying. You’re being kind of a baby about this whole thing

says:

I find it so fascinating that after I wrote this so many Stitchfix fans have been finding this post and commenting. Crazy. Glad you were able to be ‘fixed’ in size XL. And glad they are trying to accommodate a larger clientele than what was initially offered. I’m not a baby oh poor naive reader…just a woman with opinions and a place to voice them. Move along and enjoy drinking the Stitchfix KoolAid.

14. Kateo says:

Um…I’m really tall. There are almost no clothes that fit me in stores. I have to order nearly all of my clothes online from one of a handful of retailers that carry clothes that fit me. Does that mean that I should write a crazy, entitled rant to every one of them? I agree with Jenna. I hope that you never face real hardship in your life. Because how on earth would you survive? I’ve never tried stitch fix, but now I kind of want to.

says:

How lovely for you and your tallness. Hope you and Stitchfix are very happy with each other.

But in the future I would caution you to read more than one post on someone’s personal blog before you assume you know whether or not a person has gone through any ‘real hardship’. Shame on you for assuming anything about anyone you don’t know. This is my personal space, I write what’s on my mind. Deal with it and please…don’t come back!!

15. Sara says:

My fix is scheduled for the 21 but no word on whether it has shipped. I wear an Xl in Amerocan Eagle and a 14 or 16 depending on the cut of the pants. If this is why they haven’t shipped my fix yet, then they better have not charged my credit card. I need to see if they did because if they did, I will be requesting a charge back for the failure to provide services.

So if the 21st comes without a stitchfix, it’s canceled. Honestly, I will be partially glad because their clothing style leans towards ugly based on what I’ve seen. I’ve seen mostly similar prints that are hideous. The same maxi dress has shown up in nearly every blog I’ve checked. I have better fashion ideas from pintrest and the photos on their pintrest make me cringe sometimes. I’m like what is that green embroidery on that maxi dress supposed to be? Alge?

If they cannot fix my size, the. Thy should not have allowed me to schedule a fix a week of. They better have not charged me.

16. Jennifer says:

You should check out gwynniebee.com. I think that’s the name. It is a clothing rental site (I think of it as Netflix for clothes). From their pictures they cater to plus size but they start at size 10. They also have a month free trial. I did that and I really enjoyed them. They have really nice customer service, also.

17. Ann says:

What a bummer. Just saw your post, was looking at other Stitch Fix reviews. I’m size 12/L never had a problem getting fixed. Not everything fits, some stuff it too big some stuff is too small. But that’s kinda what happens with all stores/clothing lines. I’m getting my fifth box this week!

18. Jessica says:

I totally understand how much it sucks to be made to feel unattractive or unappreciated, I’m a size 12, but I think your reaction is a bit over the top. Especially, if you look at this from a business perspective. They’re just starting out. They don’t have a lot of clout with the companies producing the clothing. Like it or not, Stitch Fix is in this to make a profit and it doesn’t sound like it’s within their power or economically feasible at present for them to stock a wide range of sizes they’d need to accommodate all their customers seeking XL sizes. However, it sounds like they’re working to remedy the issue, which makes sense as they grow. And the email they sent you… It was polite and respectful. The representative who responded to you was obviously trying to be as tactful and friendly as possible. It sounds like you’re letting your anger over the situation cloud your judgement. You weren’t discriminated against. The company didn’t insult you. There was no judgement, just statement of fact. You just happen to not be an average sized woman. As such, there are less clothes produced, as a whole, that fits someone with your frame.

For a little perspective: http://www.scrawnytobrawny.com/how-to-be-positive

says:

Wow a spamming troller? That’s a new one. I think if you actually read what I wrote you would get that I was writing from a place of pain. That was very clearly articulated. And I also had a bit of positivity in the form of self-love and acceptance at the end. Maybe you should read it again. And yes. I am an average sized woman according to the CDC and the WHO and many other health organizations and studies conducted in our country. There is not less clothes produced for my size, there are less stores and companies buying them so there are less available to purchase. It’s a business paradigm that appears too big for your small mindedness.

• Regina says:

Just because someone disagrees with you, doesn’t make them a troll. I really think you need to stop mindlessly attacking some of the people disagreeing with you here. I’m sorry that your feelings were hurt, but c’mon.

I’ve never heard of Stitch Fix before today – I was linked to this post by someone pointing out how completely over the top your response was on Tumblr. Don’t assume that everyone here is either trolling you or a Stitch Fix shill account. Some people just disagree with your response.

19. LOL says:

Way to expect everyone to cater towards your needs.

You try doing the same thing and see how ‘easy’ it is to cover so much as a small startup company with a beta service.